Skip to main content

To be comfortably uncomfortable

Over the last couple of months (hence the lapse in posts...seriously) I've "enjoyed" learning the concept of training to feel comfortably uncomfortable. It seems fitting that I've chosen to partake in a sport that gives me at least three different opportunities to fine tune this ideal. I knew TRIathlon had its perks. Yet don't be fooled by the fact that, because triathlon is comprised of three different endeavors, that I have just three areas where I can push myself to the point of feeling comfortably uncomfortable. Weather, strength training, and micromanagement seem to wiggle their own ways into my life. Suddenly, I realize my coach never explained a significant chunk of my discomfort in the conversation we had last week. I suppose he knew I'd figure it out eventually. I'm cool with that.

Truthfully, I've embraced the learning process. Early morning (I mean starting in the 4 o'clock hour) trainer rides make that cup of coffee taste so much better. There's something satisfying about taking opportunistic sips with each passing rest interval so that I may bust my butt over the course of the next 8 minutes in zone Calgon-take-me-away. It's not until I'm at work, rousing my patients out of bed for physical therapy, that I'm thankful the hardest part of my day is complete. Done by 0730? Sounds good to me.

Patient treatment only truly becomes challenging if it follows an evening of strength training. As if the workouts my coach schedules for me aren't hard enough, Bryan and I take about 30 minutes out of some of our evenings to spend quality time breaking each other down. With weights, of course. What were you thinking? Please, Forty Shades of B**ll**it doesn't even come close. I remind myself the reason I can't bend over for that ankle weight on the floor is a direct result of me getting stronger. Or, the reason I groan in an attempt to demonstrate the next exercise to my patient is simply because I'm learning to cope with (appreciate) what's uncomfortable. Nevermind my patient looks confused by my methods. This is fun.

I usually feel confident that I'll find enough energy for any given workout, even if it means having to build to 5k pace in a 45 minute run after a full day at work. Thoughts of getting home, enjoying the dogs' company, and sipping on a cup of tea usually try to derail my efforts, so I've adopted some strategies to hold me to my discomfort. I don my running gear before I leave work. If I don't run at work, I run before I get home. I drive in the direction of home, and I park just a couple miles from home. This way, the only thing keeping me from home is a short, hard, gotta-get-it-done kind of run. It's a short drive home when I'm done. Nevermind the way my legs feel. I'm getting faster. Bring it.

The weather has treated me well. These mild temperatures almost attempt to make what's supposed to be uncomfortable, too pleasant. I leave it to Sunday workouts to make up for that. This morning's 17 degrees at 0700 felt anything by cozy and comfy. The first of March felt colder than the middle of February. Bryan and I waddled off into Riverside State Park, but soon found ourselves flying down Aubrey White in an effort to maintain balls-to-the-wall effort for 15 minutes. Yet 15 minutes isn't enough, so we do it again for another ten. Sucking on 17-degree air feels wonderful. It'll likely prepare us well for next weekend's Snake River Half Marathon. Secretly, I hope we're in the clear as far as weather is concerned. Today's pain translated into a faster interval split. Right on.

Confidence only lasts a short while. Upon returning to the truck, we sat in Bryan's truck, the cab as cold as the air outside, cursing a heater that only throws out warm air if he throttles it past 2000rpms. Given the drive from Riverside state park to the north YMCA doesn't afford many opportunities for that kind of speed, we shivered our way to the Y so we could wait in line like all the other gym rats eager to get in before it openned. Finally, once inside, we decided to jump in their pool. Bryan says he never warmed up. I reveled in how gummy my arms felt during each 100yard sprint. Somehow, I managed to overlook my unease by imagining the fruit smoothy with PhD nutrition and the peanut butter bonk breaker waiting for me in the car. This, only after my (finally) warm shower with SBR TriSwim to finally conclude the day's uncomfortable training efforts. I'm happy with the results.

I can't wait to see if racing comfortably uncomfortable feels this good next weekend. If there's anything I've learned, Ruby's Lube will take care of any pain the mind can't ignore. And so, I'll look forward to kicking off the 2015 race season next weekend as a Big (comfortably uncomfortable) Sexy racer, with coach Derek Garcia of DG Multisports and Bryan urging me onward.


Popular posts from this blog

My opinion...For what it's worth

My first Half Ironman 70.3 turned into Boise 29.3. I may be the only one to say that I respect the officials' judgment call on this one, because apparently, a few of my triathlete comrades lack sufficient brains themselves. The comments I'm reading on Facebook leave me pretty disturbed. Let me just put this out there: I entered this sport because it looked tough and challenging. It pushes anyone who enters these races to their ultimate limits and requires a demanding amount of time to complete the training necessary to succeed. I entered this sport because of the people. Healthy, smart, fit, inspiring, motivating. I can't think of a single person who has questioned my ability to participate in this sport. I entered this sport because anyone can do it. I passed people younger and older than me, some as old as 74. I watched one woman hobble along the run course, surely just on her first lap. She looked like her knees were going to cave in. Yet she was running. I did not ent

Pain loves misery. Misery loves company.

I remember running through complete darkness along the paved trail between Moscow and Pullman during my years studying at University of Idaho. Five years ago, my training consisted entirely of running. Cycling served as something to do on the weekends, and swimming didn’t even exist until my sophomore year. What I remember most, however, revolves around the early morning runs. I awoke at 4:30, donned my warmest clothes, started my GPS, and turned my headlamp on in preparation for eight to ten miles of farmland along a lonely stretch of highway. Running served as my outlet. I buried myself in 20+ credits of biology, chemistry, physics, and human anatomy courses to fill my time. And fill my time it did. So running every morning was my recourse to stay sane. Every. Lonely. Morning. It wasn’t until the thrill of riding my bike overtook me did I realize riding alone—training alone—hardly compared to the enjoyment of working out with other people. My dad always stressed the importance of r

Noosa Triathlon - The Grand Finale

I looked out into the surf and watched the waves churn and roll, crash, then churn and roll again. Supposedly, I signed up for this, along with the 7000 other athletes who stood on the shore with me, questioning their own sanity. These Aussies grew up swimming in this insanity on the daily, and their numbers far exceeded that of my fellow Americans. Nevertheless, I puckered up my American ass and tried to stand tall and confident to the waves. I watched Natalie Van Coevorden scheme and plan her strategy, pointing out toward the buoys. Not until the gun went off did I realize that plan involved running at least 100 meters down the shoreline before we jumped into the water. Interesting. I never would have thought to do that, considering my open water swimming experience in ocean rip and waves is virtually non-existent. When confronted with a situation such as this, I have learned to fake it. Pretend I know what I'm doing. I can do it. I can swim with the best of them. Then I jump